THE MZANSI THEATRE HISTORY
Mzansi Theatre Project Advancement is a theatre organization based in a small township outside Pietermaritzburg called Kwa-Pata. Mzansi Theatre Projects is the initiator of an innovative Studio Theatre situated at the backyard in a Township. Studio Theatre is a platform for young and upcoming theatre practitioners where every second and last Friday of the month a platform is opened for local and provincial art artist to stage their shows. We are the organization committed to writing and producing arts work that speaks to the reality our community is experiencing every day.
Mzansi Theatre Project Advancement is registered as a Non-Profit Organization, a Non Profit Company, as well as a Public Benefit Organization PBO.
- Main objectives
- To create a competent theatre industry in the Pietermaritzburg region and the UMgungundlovu District Municipality.
- To use Performing Arts as a medium to address the broader social pathologies and disadvantaged communities.
- To make the physical space accessible, approachable and optimally functional through the Design a 12 month theatre program where theatre groups from around KwaZulu Natal can perform their theatre shows.
- To organize periodical training programs on acting skills, Directing skills, Script- writing skills and basic Arts Management skills which shall contribute to the equipping of performers with the necessary skills to prepare them and make them competitively ready for the professional theatre industry.
- Create a platform for networking programs for Actor, Directors, Educator and Administrators in the performing Arts in the Pietermaritzburg and beyond through linking them with the national and SADAC arts industry.
- Organize a one week intensive Writers and directors Residency programme for theatre directors and writers.
- Commission 4 professional showcase for a period of a year.
061 491 2412
081 346 5322